Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Second Life

While it's really fascinating from a sociological/psychological standpoint, I really don't personally understand virtual world things like this. The concept of paying actual money to recieve virtual/money and property is weird, to say the least, if only because it's so impractical and intangible. And so you can do what?

The problem with a virtual life is that it requires time and energy away from your "real" life. I'm not into these visual chatroom type things, but I have played the Sims. And I wonder why paying bills and making food virtually is exciting when I've really done nothing productive. Why is the concept of virtual reality so novel when we have real-reality (the graphics are pretty awesome)?

I see how it would be useful for roleplaying purposes, though. And possibly as a form of escapism - obviously reality is limiting in regards to certain things. Like the Sims, I'd probably have fun building things and creating characters but when it comes to actually interacting for extended periods of time, I'll stick to people I know in person.

No comments: