Wednesday, October 31, 2007

editing

I have not heard of any dynamic editions of texts that the article seems to be refering to so I'll stick to what I know.

"...none of these advances in markup, nor any of these guidelines, is robust enough to accommodate all facets of the actual textual experience of editors working with primary artifacts."

This is true. I've edited both electronically and the old-fashioned way. I prefer having a physical copy to mark-up because it's very simple to keep track of what you've done and there's just something about writing that seems to make it easier. This gets bulky, though, if you're editing multiple editions of novels. Electronic editing is handy but it's also extremely fluid - instead of going through concrete drafts, the text seems to morph into something different with no trace of what it was unless you continuously save your work.

No comments: