Monday, October 29, 2007

my laptop gets internet out of the air or something

I'm proud of myself for keeping up with these blog posts now :D

Ah, wireless technology. I've always been the kid with the old-school Nokia. even now I have a new (free) flip phone capable of all sorts of fancy things (pictures, graphics, ringtones that aren't MIDIs) sitting in a box because I feel like a traitor ditching my extremely sturdy old Nokia. I'm somewhere between a neo-Luddite and someone who's grudgingly accepting of technology. I don't have a landline but I also don't see the point in text-messaging (plus the data transmission is overpriced). I never respond to them. And while there's a lot of nice things about cell phones and mobile devices, one thing I hate is being kept track of 24/7. There's no excuse not to get ahold of someone nowadays. If I don't call back within a few hours, people think I'm dead and "uh, my phone was off/I didn't hear it ring/I didn't have a signal" gets old fast. I just hate being on some sort of digital leash and sometimes I romanticize the days where people sent letters instead of instant responses. I also think we now have a fear of silence - everyone is always on a phone. It seems like when people have a spare minute they call just to chat with someone. Whatever happened to just sitting somewhere? This contributes to all those etiquette problems in the Wikipedia article. I guess the bottom line is: being connected is pretty cool but it's possible there can be too much of a good thing.

As for wireless technology in general? It's good to know my laptop doesn't just magically get internet out of the air :D It's pretty convenient. I wonder why the Wikipedia article did not bring up the issue of "stealing" wireless internet (though I guess it's not stealing if it's open to anyone). I wonder if you become liable for illegal activities on your personal wireless network?
Toothpaste For Dinner
toothpastefordinner.com

No comments: