Monday, December 3, 2007

Web 3.0

I looked on Wikipedia for a little help in envisioning what Web 3.0 will look like, although you could argue it's another nebulous label.

One of the new developments predicted in Web 3.0 is "geoweb," which merges the abstract information of the internet with location-based information, making some sort of cyber spatial organization. Apparently, things like GoogleEarth and maps (and probably the creepy GoogleStreets, if that's still up) are helping to propel this. Eventually, I guess, there will be some kind of virtual reality world that more closely resembles our own. There will also be a shift towards artificial intelligence. I expect the internet will be more intuitive and actively guide you toward things in a more nuanced way.

Apparently the CEO of Google was asked to define Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 and he said, "Web 2.0 is a marketing term, and I think you've just invented Web 3.0" so I guess he thinks these terms are pretty arbitrary.

If I could invest in a Web 3.0 company...well, they don't necessarily exist yet but I think I'd invest in something like Secondlife or World of Warcraft because that seems to be the direction the internet is going in, in terms of full immersion. Although I think it will probably expand beyond games or entertainment and become more totalizing, and like the above, more "intelligent" and adaptive to the user. We can already see things becoming more physical and interactive in the gaming industry...like Wii and Guitarhero and Nintendo DS which uses that weird pen thing. These things also seem more social.

No comments: