Monday, November 26, 2007

broadcasting!

I'm not sure internet broadcasting could take over the status quo without a change in technology. Internet television is great for cheapskates who don't want to pay for cable but you pay for it in loss of quality. Finally, when it's easier to connect your internet to television screens, I think cable companies will find a way to exploit this (since generally cable companies and internet companies are one and the same and cable companies certainly don't want you skirting around ads or skipping out on expensive cable packages), probably through pricing or download control. This is somewhat similar to what the RCIAA (I believe) did with royalties for internet radio.

Internet radio is a little different. Unlike old-fashioned radio, generally I have found I can avoid the 30 minutes of commercials which is great. Then, unlike an iPod playlist, you can be exposed to new or obscure music, expanding your tastes and discovering new artists. This is generally beneficial for both artist and listener. And radio programs can afford to be highly specialized since they are not targeting the masses, unlike traditional radio. Programs like Pandora and LastFM are very "web 2.0"...that is, interactive and customizable. Personally I find internet radio to be of more use than internet television.



this is not very representative, since I don't listen to music on my computer much and haven't used this for awhile but it should give an idea of the services available.

No comments: